When the weather is nice, nothing beats relaxing on the deck, cooking out, and watching the kids play outside. Creating a beautiful outdoor space that stands the test of time and meets your needs is worth doing right. If you are looking to build or add onto your deck, read on to learn more about deck building and how to find a quality deck contractor in Reading, PA.
Best Materials for Deck Building in Reading, PA
The best material for your deck depends on your preferences around budget, maintenance, sustainability, and aesthetics. In Reading, PA, it is best to use a durable decking material that will hold up against the winter cold and snow and the summer heat and humidity.
- Pressure treated woods – Pressure treated Pine and Douglas Fir are a less expensive alternative to regular wood decking. These woods are treated with chemicals to increase their anti-rot and infestation properties. Like natural wood decking, pressure-treated wood requires maintenance, but it can be a durable, cost-effective, and aesthetically pleasing option.
- Composite or PVC boards – Composites, which are a blend of Polyethylene and wood, and Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) may have a higher upfront cost than pressure-treated woods but require minimal to no maintenance and resist rot, splitting, and infestation. They are long-lasting, recyclable, and come in many color varieties and styles which can mimic the appearance of natural wood.
- Concrete and stone – If you are looking for alternatives to the above decking materials, our partners offer stamped concrete and stone which looks beautiful and has advantages like durability, cost-effectiveness, and style.
How to Find Deck Contractor in Exton, PA
Finding a deck contractor can be a frustrating process if you don’t already know one. You want someone you can trust for high quality work and reliability, but who won’t overcharge you. There are a few tried and true ways to find a deck contractor in Exton, PA or beyond:
- Ask friends or family – If one of your friends or family members has recently had a deck built, you are one of the lucky ones who doesn’t have to start from scratch to find a deck contractor in your local area.
- Home improvement websites – Many online resources will connect you with a list of contractors that fit your project’s specifications, including Homeadvisor, Houzz, and Angi (formerly Angie’s List).
- Do your own research – Regardless of if you try the first two suggestions on this list, you should do some basic research yourself before you hire a deck contractor in your local area. Read online reviews, look at the websites of the contractors you are considering to view their completed work, and contact the “short list” of contractors that you come up with.
What You Should Ask a Deck Contractor in Exton, PA
Once you have narrowed down your list of deck contractors, contact each one; a true professional will be happy to take the time to answer your questions. Be sure to ask each deck builder:
- How many and what types of deck projects have they completed in the area? Can you look at some of their work?
- Do they have the proper licensing and insurance? A reputable deck contractor will be happy to show you their credentials.
- How do their fees work? In advance of a formal quote, a trustworthy deck builder will tell you how they charge and when payments are expected.
- Can they provide references from past customers?
The more questions you ask before you hire a deck contractor, the more likely you are to find the one that is the right fit for your project and your peace of mind.
Why Choose Morrison Custom Construction for Deck Building in Exton, PA
Morrison Custom Construction is a licensed, insured professional that has been in business for twenty years. We work with a variety of high quality materials and provide excellent craftsmanship, hiding imperfections with hidden fasteners and specializing in walkways, railings, built in lighting, covered decks, and built-in benches as well as standard decks. Choose Morrison Custom Construction as your deck contractor in Exton, PA and you will find a partner you can trust to build the deck of your dreams at a price that fits your budget.